Tuesday, July 10, 2007

4th of July history

I came to the conclusion the reason I was kind of down after our party last week was because my parents wedding anniversary is/was on the 4th of July. In the early 1940's my father was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood near Rolla Missouri. My parents met while he was home on leave. His sister and my mom worked together at a little corner grocery in a little village near by. My moms parents drove my mom to Missouri and they were married in Rolla.

In the 70's when I was a kid we would spend 4th of July at my parents cabin north of Au Grey. We would go to this park in Tawas to watch the fireworks over the Saginaw bay. The park had all these cement figures to play on. There was Disney's Pluto the dog that you'd climb up his ass and slide out his mouth. The shoe from "The old woman who lived in a shoe", which you'd climb the narrow steps and slide down the tongue of the shoe. The hippo which had several holes through out to climb in and out. A castle, which might have had a slide also, and a couple of fish, one which always smelled of piss. I loved playing on that stuff. Its been along time since I've been up there and they probably are gone now due to sue happy people and stricter enforcement of play ground equipment.

I had a silver poodle when I was a kid since I was allergic to everything and they don't shed. We would take her also and the fireworks would scare the shit out of her and she would sit there and shake nervously and I would wrap her in a blanket. Anyway that is my memories of 4th of July when I was a kid. God I miss my parents.

No comments: