Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ignorace in the gay community

As some of you remember Scooby and I had a room mate for a while, little over a year ago. Scooby and I are HIV+, our room mate was/is not. Recently I was conversing with a guy and my partner and I's HIV status came up and the guy replied, "your room mate was also, wasn't he?" I told him he wasn't and he said, "Well I and other people just figured he was since he lived with you guys."

WTF??? Why is it that if you know or live with someone who is HIV+, that people automatically assumes you are HIV+ also. With this kind of ignorant thinking I guess it shouldn't surprise me time and again, that alot guys will immediately quit chatting with me online once they find out I'm HIV+.

Another instance was with our friend who recently had health issues. He had an enzyme surge which caused some temporary paralisis. (Note: he's doing much better and has almost completely recovered) But the gay community automatically labled him as having AIDS, which he doesn't, in fact he's HIV-. Just because he's young and had a temporary health issue he was branded with HIV/AIDS.

The ignorance of these queens spreading these hateful rumours blows my mind. Here are a couple of guild lines to help you protect yourself and be a decent human being.

1.) ALWAYS practice safe sex and treat all sexual partners as if they are HIV+.
2.)Don't spread rumours about people unless that person has confirmed the rumour and says its ok to tell other people.

end of rant....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its typical of americans......we are very ignorant and unread.


LOVE
BIGmomma

Will said...

That's a good rant, Mike--don't apologize for it!