Friday, February 18, 2005

Don't believe everything you read!

Ok I was kinda irked by the article at gay.com about "Weighing in on Prevention" by John Cameron Mitchell. First I do agree with him about how bad crystal is with gay youth and that more guys are becoming infected because of it.

What I don't agree with is his quote: If you become positive you'll have to get a job with health insurance for the rest of your life. If you're poor, you could die. First of all this is all fine and good if your trying to scare HIV- guys into practicing safe sex. It is not good to tell this to guys that have just found out that they are poz. I have had a couple of friends that when they found out they were poz they immediately gave up and committed suicide. Yes a job and insurance is a plus if you have HIV but it is not mandatory in order to get help.

I'm not sure how it is in other states but in Michigan The Ryan White Foundation pays all HIV related medical bills if you don't have insurance and can't afford to pay. We also have DAP = the Drug Assistance Program which pays for medications for people with HIV. DAP covers not only HIV meds but quite abit of other medications also.

I myself do have a full time job with insurance but am still considered low income and Ryan White and DAP pays for everything that my insurance doesn't (deductibles, copays, ect.) Scooby doesn't have insurance and his medical bills and medications are paid for by Ryan White and DAP. Granted you have alot of paper work to fill out and a few hoops to jump through but it's worth it in the long run. Every year at this time I have to go to FIA = Family Independent Agency to apply for medical assistance (Medicaid). I get turned down for Medicaid because of the fulltime job and insurance but once I get turned down then I can receive help from RW and DAP.

I just want to get this out there so newly infected guys will know that there is hope even if they don't have a good job and/or insurance. There are organizations out there that will help you find the assistence that you need. We have a case worker from a local HIV/AIDS organization that helps us and points us in the right direction to get the help we need.

I just pray everyday that Bush and his Republican cronies don't take away that money in order to pay for their stupid war, or else yes, we could die.

No comments: