Friday, August 12, 2005

Calling Peggy Gravel

I read Joe's post on his old answering machine message and it reminded me of mine. It wasn't vulgar like Joe's but it was funny.

About 8 years ago

Phone rings...

HELLO....WHAT NUMBER ARE YOU CALLING? YOU'VE DIALED THE WRONG NUMBER! SORRY...WHAT GOOD IS THAT... HOW CAN YOU EVER REPAY THE 30 SECONDS YOU'VE STOLEN FROM MY LIFE...


Beep...


I got it from John Waters movie "Desperate Living". It was in the beginning of the film when Peggy Gravel (played by Mink Stole) was in the process of having her nervous breakdown.

I loved it! and so did everyone else. Wrong numbers would call back just to hear it again. They'd tell their friends, and then they would call. Most of my messages would be unknown people laughing their asses off. It was a riot.

But I had to retire Peggy once Scooby moved in. He didn't think his mother would understand. Plus it's not really a great first impression to make when mommy inlaw calls for the first time and gets the answering machine....

No comments: