Thursday, July 29, 2004

HIV meds and the side effects

First of all just want a say that every person is different, so HIV meds affect everyone differently. This is just the accounts of myself and Scoobys side effects.

When I first became poz back in 1996 my doctors put me on AZT and 3TC (which soon was combined together to become Combivir) and Crixivan. I don't know if they use Crixivan anymore but the shit was like rat poison. We were on Crixivan for several years and the side effects never went away while on this drug.

Side Effects of Crixivan:

Chronic vomiting :(Mine wasn't chronic but Scooby threw up every morning on and off from the time he got up till about noon.)

Chronic diarrhea: (Same as the vomiting on and off all morning till about noon. It was so bad that Scooby and I started referring to our asshole as our "Water holes" since that's all that came out. We tried all kinds of drugs to help this, but all everything seemed to do was change the water different colors
Rule #1 for chronic diarrhea don't leave home until your sure that your done blowing out.

Rule #2 If you have chronic diarrhea don't ever fart in public. "Oops I crapped my pants"

Excessive drying of skin: ( I don't know if it was this or the diarrhea but my self lubing juicy asshole dryed out and getting fucked turned into a nightmare. Using lube didn't work because it fiercely burned. I joked during this time that if I'd of been on meds before I became poz , I'd of never been infected. I've been off of Crixivan for several years now and my hole is finally just starting to get back to normal. Yea!

Forget consuming Alcohol: I used to throw up before I even got a buzz. One good thing is it saved me from being/continuing to be an alcoholic.

Powder burps: Crixivan I guess doesn't dissolve well or at all, cuz I would occasionally burp and a puff of powder would waft out of my mouth. "Honestly I don't eat baby powder or cocaine for that matter"

and last but not least:
Crixivan Slivers: after time these slivers get stuck in your kidneys and they pass like kidney stones. After the third time our Dr. took us off of Crixivan.


I was then put on Viracept and Scooby was put on Zerit and Sustiva

Side effects of Viracept:

Headaches: I had a headache for the first couple of months of being on this. I don't know if they went away or if I just got use to them. I've suffered from migrain headaches since I was 5 so a regular headache is not a big deal.

Diarrhea: not as bad as Crixivan, we do occasionally have a solid turd and thats cause for celebration. "Yea! Solid Turd Day"

Joint and Muscle problems: Maybe I'm just getting older (37) but sometimes I feel like I'm 85. When I'm tired it seems to be worse (I start to hobble a little and definitely hold on to the hand rails while using stairs).

Hunger: When I need to eat I need to eat NOW or else my stomach gets really fucking angry and if I wait to long then I can't eat and sometimes dry heave. I now eat small meals every 3 hrs and that seems to work. Even if its just a bowl of cereal or a sandwich.

Memory loss: Sometimes I'm good, sometimes I'm Aunt Clara from Bewitched. "Oh goodness where am I"

Note: Scooby doesn't have problems with Viracept or Zerit

Side effect of Sustiva:

Nightmares: Scooby has a recurring nightmare of walking out infront of a eighteen wheeler even after he looks both ways. One of our friends has nightmares of being murdered and of murdering others.

Possible Side effects of unknown origin (maybe combivir)

Hemorrhoidal Bloodclots: These clots form in the hemorroidal tissue around the asshole. Dr. says that they normally dissolve. I had to have one sliced and squeezed out. Don't apply ice or a cold compress this makes it much worse and even more painful. Medicated powder like Gold Bond works great, the dollar store brand is just as good. I've had a couple of other ones start, but with the powder they seem to dissolve and go away on their own. Scooby and I have both had these within the last year and the only thing we're both on is Combivir.

Anyway that's it in a nutshell. Its very disturbing that there are guys out there that want to get infected and I just want to say: HIV meds are not like the Flintstones chewable vitamins that your mother used to give ya.

Sometimes I think that the meds will possibly kill me before the disease does, considering that (as far as I know) there is no knowledge of the long term effects of these drugs.

Anyway, I'm alive and I feel alright and am still able to work a full time manual labor job, so it's all good so far.

No comments: